Sausage and Vegetable Stew2012-10-18
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 26m
- Ready In : 46m
This hearty and tasty stew is amazingly versatile. Replace almost any items with what you have in your pantry, and you’ll still end up with a warm, healthy meal.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon paprika, plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces kielbasa, cut into small chunks
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 14 ounces small red-skinned or new potatoes (6 to 8), quartered
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Crusty bread, for serving
Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and glistening, about 6 minutes. Add the paprika and 1 teaspoon salt; cook until the oil turns deep red, about 1 minute. Add the flour and cook until just toasted, 30 more seconds. Immediately whisk in 4 cups water. Add the kielbasa, carrots, parsnips, potatoes and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer; cover and cook until the vegetables are tender and the broth has thickened, about 20 minutes. Add the vinegar and season with pepper.
Combine about half of the parsley with the sour cream in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the stew into bowls; top with the remaining parsley, a dollop of herbed sour cream and a sprinkle of paprika. Serve with bread.
Average Member Rating
(4.4 / 5)
5 people rated this recipe