- Servings : 4 to 6 main-course (a
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 60m
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced pancetta (about 1 ounce)
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks (with leaves), chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/4 head Savoy cabbage (about 9 ounces), cored and shredded
- 7 drained whole, peeled, canned tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 9 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 1/3 cup tubetti or other small pasta, such as orzo, or broken spaghetti
- 1 can cannellini beans (about 16 ounces), with liquid
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoon minced fresh marjoram
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring, until slightly crisp and the fat has rendered, about 1 minute. Lower the heat to medium, add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are somewhat soft, about 15 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook, uncovered, stirring, until wilted, about 3 minutes more.
Stir in the tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the pasta, lower to a simmer, and cook until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.
In a small bowl, mash half of the beans with a fork. Add the mashed and whole beans to the soup and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes.
Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the herbs and cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide among warm soup bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan. Serve immediately with more cheese for passing at the table.
Average Member Rating
(3.2 / 5)
19 people rated this recipe